Tecate ties multichannel campaign, app to anticipated boxing match
- Tecate is rolling out a multichannel digital campaign aimed at deepening the brand's connection to boxing fans and Mexican and Mexican-American consumers, according to a press release.
- The effort revolves around "16 Stories of Punch," each profiling an inspirational person. The whos-who includes Mexican and Mexican-American notables and other popular cultural figures including: boxing commentator Bernardo Osuna; cross-border radio personality Piolín; international chef Enrique Olvera; artist Edgar "Saner" Flores; and boxer Gennady Golovkin. The campaign also kicks off and ends with posts about Tecate's brand ambassador, boxer Canelo Alvarez.
- Tecate will display Saner-inspired graphics across its social channels. Those photos will then be brought to life with an interactive photo exhibit during the Tecate Fan Fiesta in Las Vegas as part of the lead up to Mexican Independence Day and a much-hyped middleweight boxing match between Golovkin and Alvarez. Additionally, Tecate is tying the campaign to the Bold Punch App it sponsors with Golden Boy Promotions, offering fans additional boxing content.
Tecate has some punching power of its own with the campaign's target demographic. The brewer's long-running association with boxing gives it the necessary sports cred, as do its Mexican roots. Sports tie-ins for beer brands are a long-standing tradition, but Tecate taking a multichannel approach, offering content on social media, the Golden Punch app and the interactive photo exhibit, should extend reach.
Branded apps have lost a little bit of their foothold as users are spending more time in a just a handful of more centralized offerings like Facebook and Snapchat. However, Tecate's sponsoring of the Bold Punch App lets it offer exclusive behind-the-scenes footage of the boxers along with video live streams on fight weekends, as it's done for matches in the past.
As pay-per-view games can prove costly, and as people watch TV less overall in favor of smaller screens like mobile phones, that type of digital VIP access might provide Tecate the hook it needs to drive awareness and engagement.
- Cision PR Newswire Tecate Profiles Sixteen Individuals Who Punch Above Their Weight Across Their Craft
- Sports Illustrated ‘Bold Punch’ app will bring new dimension to Alvarez-Kahn fight