84% of Gen Z travelers are influenced by social media, Expedia study finds
- Generation Z, the demographic group after millennials, is highly likely to seek travel ideas from social media, including recommendations from friends and influencers, according to a survey by Expedia Group Media Solutions. About 70% of the group uses a smartphone when looking for travel inspiration, the survey found.
- Eighty-four percent of Gen Z travelers said social media can be influential when it comes to travel, particularly for deals, promotions, pictures or videos from friends or experts. Seventy-seven percent of Gen Z travelers are open to help and inspiration from digital platforms when planning a trip.
- Appealing deals and images also influence the more than 60% of Gen Z who said advertising can be influential, indicating the group's receptiveness to promotions from travel marketers, per the survey. While Gen Z travelers tend to prioritize experiences ahead of price, they still shop for deals whenever possible, Expedia found.
The oldest Gen Zers are entering adulthood and are in the sweet spot for spending on travel before taking on more responsibilities like starting a family or buying a home. The group is also highly attuned to social media, similar to younger millennials, and experiencing the world in a way that can be instantly shared with social networks via photos and videos on platforms like Instagram and Snapchat. Gen Z embraces the YOLO ("you only live once") mentality with a passion for activities and "bucket list" experiences, Expedia's study suggests, pointing to how mobile marketers can appeal to the cohort with tailored messaging around these experiences.
Travel-related advertisers like hotels, airlines and resorts have the power to influence Gen Z travel decisions through mobile platforms. Two-thirds of these young travelers are undecided on a destination when they decide to take a trip, and the top priorities typically are relaxing, sightseeing and visiting family. However, they're also more likely than older generations to take an activity-based vacation, like skiing or hiking, or to travel for a special event such as a music festival or party.
Gen Z is the first generation to be immersed in mobile devices almost from birth, making them fluent with apps and social media. Mobile shopping is particularly popular among Gen Z consumers, with half of the group planning to complete all their shopping online using a smartphone, according to a separate study by PwC. Gen Z is more likely than older generations to seek the opinions of social influencers, as 55% of the age group follows influencers with similar interests, compared to 41% for the broader population, per PwC. This signals how marketers can leverage the power of social media influencers to reach these young consumers.
- Expedia Group Media Solutions / Business Wire Gen Z Travelers: More Open to Influence and Inspiration Than Other Generations
- Mobile Marketer Travelocity hosts Instagram contest to hype AR Roaming Gnome