DC United brings virtual currency to new Audi Field app
- Major League Soccer team D.C. United launched a mobile app with team-related content and information about the new Audi Field, as well as team rosters, schedules, real-time game statistics, photo galleries and videos, according to a press release.
- At the official opening of Audi Field on July 14, fans could purchase and trade season tickets for virtual currency, called Fan Allocation Money, that can be used toward upgrades and special fan experiences at the stadium. Fans can also use the app to buy parking, order food and drinks for express pickup all from the app.
- The new mobile portal also offers wayfinding to help fans get to and from the stadium via public transit or to identify parking locations. Created by mobile app provider VenueNex, the app is available for download in Apple's App Store and Google Play.
As sports teams seek to appeal to younger audiences who have grown up using smartphones, their mobile apps need to keep pace with their expectations for seamless on-demand information and entertainment. D.C. United is among the professional sports teams that are working to add to the fan experience with a content-rich mobile app.
The app's rollout is well-timed, considering the team this year will play in a new, state-of-the-art stadium that has mobile ticket entry and mobile concessions ordering for express pickup. It also comes shortly after mobile-focused ticket platform SeatGeek partnered with Snapchat to let fans purchase live event tickets directly within the image-messaging app, with the Los Angeles Football Club as the first team to sell tickets through the new partnership. SeatGeek's partnership with Snapchat, along with D.C. United's fresh app, is another sign that mobile devices are on their way to becoming the predominant ticketing and all-purpose platform for live sporting events.
D.C. United's app is a key part of encouraging fan loyalty by helping them manage their rewards for attending games. Orange County Soccer Club has a similar program with a mobile app that offers loyalty points for checking in at matches and other activities.
- VenueNext / Business Wire Major League Soccer Team D.C. United Announces New Audi Field Mobile App Experience for Guests Powered by VenueNext
- Mobile Marketer Orange County Soccer Club's loyalty app delivers rewards for checking in
- Mobile Marketer Snapchat, SeatGeek partner on in-app ticket buying