Tori Spelling debuts AR makeover show 'The Look: All Stars'
- Augmented reality (AR) beauty app Perfect365 is collaborating with makeover competition show, "The Look: All Stars," hosted by actress Tori Spelling and hairstylist Kim Vo, according to a press release shared with Mobile Marketer. The hour-long show, which airs each week on Sinclair Broadcast Group's CW and MyNetwork TV stations, will focus on makeovers by hair stylists, makeup artists and fashion consultants who will complete two makeovers each episode.
- The Perfect365 app, which has more than 100 million users, uses face detection technology that allows for accurate virtual makeup placement on both photos and in live video, via the app's AR "Live Mirror" feature. The app purports to know exactly where eyeshadow should be applied, how to contour cheekbones and where to place eyeliner and lashes, resulting in realistic AR makeup designs.
- Perfect365 will create and release four new looks in its app each week leading up to the show, letting users get a sneak peek of beauty styles to see how the show's looks were created. "The Look" audience can then use the app to virtually try on the styles.
"The Look: All Stars" is innovative for making AR technology a key part of a reality contest show, similar to how Fox's "Beat Shazam" showcases the popular music identification app. "The Look" will highlight virtual try-ons, a feature that many major beauty companies have incorporated into their mobile and in-store marketing. Sephora helped start the trend several years ago with the introduction of a 3D AR mirror that simulates cosmetics on a user's face in real time.
As a key sign of AR's importance to the cosmetics industry, L'Oréal in March announced the acquisition of beauty tech startup Modiface, which develops facial recognition technology for beauty applications. The deal marked the first time that L'Oréal bought a technology company instead of another beauty brand. L'Oréal last month started giving consumers a way take their AR-based makeup try-ons to the next level by enabling a beauty adviser to place recommended products on a shopper's face during a live consultation.
In addition to providing mobile users with ideas for makeup, AR is also being used to help market haircuts and nail polish. Hair salon franchiser Great Clips this month launched a Snapchat Lens that lets people virtually try on "wacky" hairstyles.
- Perfect365 Inc. / Business Wire Perfect365 Announces Collaboration With THE LOOK: ALL STARS, a New Make-Over Competition TV Show Hosted by Tori Spelling & Kim Vo
- Mobile Marketer L'Oréal buys AR beauty tech startup Modiface